It was my New Years resolution to learn some new knots, and I haven’t done anything about it – yet! I am lucky enough to have a boyfriend who is a great at knots, so it is easy to be lazy and just get him to do them for me.
I appreciate tidy lines and a good knot. I have already lost a dinghy once and a fender because I didn’t tie a nice knot, and I have had the genoa sheet fly off half way through a race on a number of occasions. The ability to be able to tie a good knot is a great skill to have on a yacht!
So here is my start to learn some knots – writing a post about it. I am going to get myself a nice clean rope to practice with and I will collate all the knots here for me to learn!
Here are some I am already pretty good at already.
- Bowline – used to make a loop in the end of a rope
- Clove Hitch – used to tie a rope to a lifeline or bollard
- Cleat Hitch – used to secure a line to a cleat
- Coiling a Rope – So you don’t end up with a huge tangle of ropes….
- Some more cool Rope Coiling techniques
Here are some I need to work on…
There are heaps of other great knots on this website – http://www.animatedknots.com/
Let me know if you have any other suggestions on handy knots and how to tie them!