My name is Viki. I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and I have been sailing since I was eight years old in a little pink Optimist.
I bought my yacht Wildwood – a Young 88 keelboat about 12 years ago, and I have had lots of great adventures on her, racing and cruising around Lyttelton, Banks Peninsula and the Marlborough Sounds.
Ever since I can remember, I have dreamed about travelling and sailing around the world.
- Restricted Radio Telephone Operator (VHF) Certificate
- Coastal Skipper
- Advanced Sea Survival
- Marine Medic – Offshore STCW
- GPS Operator Certificate
- Diesel Engine Maintenance Certificate
- Yachting New Zealand Race Officials introductory training
- SSI Open Water Diver
- Celestial Navigation certificate
- Vanderbilt University – Astronavigation
- MetEd – Principles of Celestial Navigation
- Currently studying Ocean Yachtmaster
- RYA International Certificate of Competency
- RYA Professional Practices & Responsibilities Course
- CEVNI certificate – Inland waterways of Europe
- Yachting NZ Level 3 Yacht Seamanship Instructor
- Fire Response training
- Canterbury Aero Club, Private Pilots License Meteorology paper
- Meteorology course, Futurelearn MOOC – Reading University
Other Sailing Experience:
- Director of Yachting New Zealand 2017 – present day
- Yachting NZ Cruising, Inshore and Offshore Racing Committee Member
- Winner 2016 Yachting New Zealand Service Award
- President of the Little Ship Club of Canterbury
- Manager of Naval Point Club Lyttelton 2015
- Administration and Marketing Coordinator for the Canterbury Yachting Association
- Founder of Women Who Sail New Zealand Facebook group
- Programme Coordinator Canterbury Sailing Academy 2005
- Writer for Boating New Zealand Magazine
- Writer for Sistership Magazine
- Rear Commodore Keelboats Naval Point Club Lyttelton 2003 – 2005
- Key Note Speaker – Women Who Sail Australia Gathering on the Bay 2018
- Passage Planning – Boating NZ August 2015
- French Connection – Boating NZ November 2015
- Budget your Boating – Boating NZ November 2015
- The Chatham Islands – Boating NZ January 2016
- The Fish Bin System – Cruising Helmsman Australia February 2016
- Whanganui River Journey – Boating NZ April 2016
- Sailing around Banks Peninsula – Boating NZ September 2017
- INSV Tarini – A Circumnavigation – Sistership Magazine April 2018
- Rescue in the Tasman – Sistership Magazine June 2018
- Helping your family help you – Sistership Magazine September 2018
- Guests on Board – Cruising Helmsman Magazine February 2019
Andrew started sailing in Sydney and raced around Sydney Harbour, Pittwater and deliveries up and down the East Coast of Australia. He had a break from sailing when he came to New Zealand until he met me and got back in to it again! He is now co-skipper of Wildwood and bowman on Flying Machine, which he helps sail in various race campaigns around New Zealand.
Sailing Qualifications & Skills
- Board Member, Rear Commodore Keelboats of Naval Point Club Lyttelton 2014 – 2016
- Vice Commodore Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club
- MRROC (VHF) Operator certificate
- Amazing Bowman
- Winner Young 88 South Island Champs 2014, 2015, 2017
- Winner Canterbury Keelboat Champs – Presidents Cup 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Winner Corinthian division Young 88 Nationals Auckland 2014
- Fantastic at fixing things
- Great fisherman
- Brilliant cook
- PADI Open Water Diver
- Meteorology paper, Canterbury Aero Club
Work With Us
With a following of over 4000 people from all over the world, and extended networks through local sailing and cruising clubs and international social media channels, we are experienced social influencers and can provide many opportunities for you to promote your boating related products on our blog.
Sponsorship – Put your logo on a sail, or provide a piece of equipment for the boat, we are open to suggestions and can offer various solutions – advertising or photographs in blog posts, updates on our social media channels, links to your website, mentions in magazine articles etc.
Reviews – We are happy to trial and review your boating or travel related products. Accompanied by photographs and commentary about the product. We can also feature the product in our YouTube clips and on all our social media channels. You can use the review on your website like Shady Face sun shades has done here, and we can write Amazon reviews as well.
Links within posts – Add a link to your specific product or business to one of our existing posts – Our Christmas gift ideas list is a good example.
Magazine Articles – our sailing and adventure travel related articles are being published in various magazines around the world. Bring us to your part of the globe and we will write about our experiences, and provide TripAdvisor reports, Facebook and Twitter feeds on the trip and YouTube clips of the experience as well.
Advertising – anything from a one off post on our Facebook and Twitter page, through to a regular banner on our website.
Please enquire for more details.
You can contact us by using the form below.